Selecting a Water Heater for Your Home
There are several reasons that we would need to purchase a water heart for your home. You may be in a new construction project or a remodeling project and it is time to make the decision to purchase your system. Choosing a water system that will provide an ample supply of hot water when needed is an important aspect of your decision. You will also want to consider how efficiently your water heater will be during operation. Water heating is the second largest expense in your home accounting for 15 to 20% 0f your utility cost. There are several types of systems that will provide the hot water needed for your home. We will take a look at several types and how they operate to help you make the decision for the right water heater for your home.
Types of water heaters
It is a good idea to understand the types of water heaters that are available to you for your home.
- Conventional storage water heaters have been the most popular in past years. This free standing heater offers a storage reservoir that will usually hold 20-80 gallons of water. When the faucets in your house is turned on hot water is realized out of the top of the tank. When this water is released it is replaced by cold water into the reservoir. This will insure that the tank is always full.
- Tankless water heaters can that are also known as demand-type or instant water heaters will provide hot water only as it is needed. There is no yank that holds the water that needs to be heated. When a hot water tap is turned on cold water travels through the unit. As the water trave
ls through the unit the water is heated. After the water passes the unit the tankless heater will shut off and cool back down.
- Heat pump heaters moves heat on one location to the other instead of generating heat directly to heat the water. Heat pump operates much like a refrigerator or cooler but in reverse. It will heat instead of cool. You can also use a heat pump system with a conventional storage method. Heat pump water heaters will not operate efficiently if they are located in a cool location in your home.
- Solar water heaters will use the sun’s energy to heat the water. They can be a cost effective way to provide hot water for your home. These units include storage tanks and solar collectors. Direct circulation systems will pump household water through the solar collectors and into the home. They work well in climate locations where it will rarely freeze. Indirect circulation systems will circulate heat-transfer liquid through the collectors and heat an exchanger. This heats the water and circulates it to the home where needed. There are popular in climates that are likely to freeze.
- Tankless coil and indirect systems will use the home’s space heating system to heat the water. This system is also known as integrated or combination water and space heating system. This system works much like the tankless water heater but uses the existing boiler or heating system of your home to heat the water.
Water type considerations
When choosing the type of water heating system for your home there are a few facts that will need to be looked at. These considerations will need to be looked at closely before you make the final choice.
- Fuel type, availability and cost. Electricity, gas, and fuel oils are the most common types of energy that is used to operate the water heater systems. You will want to consider the yearly cost of each fuel. In some locations it will be easier to access electricity. If you live in an area that is prone to outages throughout the year a gas or oil system may be the right choice for you.
- You want to make sure you have enough hot water to maximize efficiency. The number of devices you have that uses hot water will determine how much hot water will be used. This will help you to determine the flow rate. The number of people in any given household will also have a large effect on the type and size of your water heater.
- Energy Efficiency. To help to maximize energy and cost savings you will need to know the efficiency rating of a water heating system. This information is available with any system you are considering. This will also help you to determine the yearly operating cost of a unit. Compare the efficiency and the yearly cost for several systems before you make the final decision. Different fuel types will also have a determination of the efficiency and yearly cost. As energy cost fluctuates the yearly cost of running your system will also fluctuate. If you have more than one type of fuel in your location, you will need to compare the coat of each fuel.
No matter which type you choose proper maintenance task will need to be performed to keep your water heater operating at peak efficiency. The proper maintenance can be performed by a professional contractor that is located in your area. Not only is proper maintenance important it is also required to keep the warranty up one your system. No matter which type of system you choose it is very important to have the water heater installed by a trained professional. Not only will this insure top performance form your system it will keep you safe as well.
If you are looking for more information as to which heater will be the best for you contact your local contractor. If you live in the Bellevue, WA. Be sure to contact Rudy’s plumbing. You will receive the quality installation and service that will is required to help your system operate properly. He will also help you to maintain your system to keep cutting your energy cost saving you money each year.